The procedure of Timber Flooring is used in hilly areas. The system is most conveniently used in those areas where moisture content is high, and wood is more frequently available. Timber floors are abundantly seen in dancing halls, carpentry halls, auditoriums, etc. Placement of Timber Floors over Concrete Floor.
The placement of Timber Flooring above the concrete floors is subjected to certain conditions:
- The moisture content of the concrete floor must have to be below 24%; hygrometer is needed to use to get a perfect measurement of moisture.
- Generally, for hardwood flooring you get the substrata or the original base floor over which the timber floor layer is pasted. You should check the quality of the pasting and go for regular maintenance of the same.
- When the moisture framed underneath the plastic exceeds the level, a suitable moisture barrier is required to be framed.
- The level of recommended moisture barrier is 200-micron builders’ plastic at the minimum stage.
- The level of the barrier can be raised to 300 mm and can be well taped. This ensures that no moisture will escape onto the floor area.
Role of subfloors in Timber Flooring
Building a perfect structure for Timber Flooring appears an arduous task for most of the floor designers and the crafters. Therefore, the designers adopt the policy of getting away with subfloors having a high spot. These spots are no greater than 3 mm over a 3 sqm radius. Therefore, when you are placing a straight edge on the subfloor, and there are slight variations, resembling hollows, you are expected to be able to get away with it.
Again, there may be the cases when the Timber Flooring will appear to be level. There may be cases when a stone is sticking out the floor by 3mm, then this has to be removed. The flooring with cement-based is v=available in most hardware outlets. These are mainly self-levelling, i.e. they find an even level and fill that area. Therefore, it is better to go with bit expense that will allow the user to have standard flooring on a poor subfloor. You can choose both pastel as well as darker shades like coffee colors and then utilize the color accordingly to match the entire thing with your interiors.
Condition of Subfloors before Installation
For an efficient Timber Flooring, it is advised that you lay good quality engineered timber flooring on most surfaces. This will help to serve your purposes as long as these maintain its cleanliness, levelling, and dryness. The following stays as good examples of such flooring:
- Old concrete
- Timber board
- Old timber floorboards
- Old tiles, as long as they are structurally fixed and never let loose.
Repairing of Timber Flooring
Repairing on Timber Flooring is normally not expected or desired. But, yes, these can be repaired. This type of flooring can be repaired by removing the damaged floorboards. Then, these are replaced with new floors. In some cases when the floors are found to sustain minimal scratches, the same can be touched up by using a special marker pen. While simple cleaning and washing can reduce the loss caused by regular footfalls, you need to go for professional cleaning to get the floors in the most perfect order all throughout the year.
Installing in abstract area
When and if you have any pondering of using timber flooring in certain abstract places like the kitchen, you must not forget to place a rug in front of the sink. Adequate care measures are required to be adopted while replacing appliances like dishwater. This is required as most of the floors gain in height after installation. Please keep in mind that timbers are fairly stronger as these species with which these are made.